Thursday, July 13, 2006

Weights & Measures - Ok, for the most part I'm sorting things out here north of the border... the best route to get to work, how to find my way to Ikea (which by the way, I now need a 12-Step program Ikea-holics Anonymous), traffic rules which are particular to at least Toronto and so on.

But, one area that keeps throwing me for a loop is the whole measuring thing. It's getting better now, but for the first 2-3 weeks I was here, I would wake up in the morning and have to ask my partner what to wear because at the moment I have no mental framework for the temperature told to me in Celsius. Listening to the weather on the morning news, the temperature feels like an arbitrary number... "and today folks we're gonna have a scorcher with a high of 30 degrees."

Huh? 30 degrees in my lil' brain means break out with your winter coat. Mornings are hard enough without trying to work out some conversion formula that I had to learn in 7th grade science... something about multiply by 5/7th's divide by the square root of the daily currency exchange rate and add the number of Canadian beers left in the fridge?

It's not just the temperature that I'm messed up about, it's distance and weight.
Example A. - Most maps here read in kilometers; my car's odometer only reads miles so when I'm driving I'm trying to convert so I don't miss my next intersection.
Example B. - I jumped on the treadmill on the gym and was asked for my weight in kilograms. Although I do have to admit, saying my weight in kilograms does make me sound skinnier since it's a smaller number!

No comments: