Tuesday, July 04, 2023

 




Well, well, well… July 4th seems as auspicious a day as any to try and restart this blog. I started it back in 20-aught-6 to chronicle my move from the US to Canada. So much personally and politically has happened since then (wowzers, is that an understatement).

In all honesty, I had forgotten I even had this blog. But I saw a meme on the socials the other day that jogged my memory. It said, “I don’t think the US deserves a birthday party this year.”

Sometimes I joke around that living in Canada these days is like living above a Meth Lab. Not that Canada doesn’t have its fair share of issues. It certainly does. It’s just that I feel like I am watching the decline of the country of my birth with a worry and sense of helplessness in the same way I might navigate a loved one with an active addiction; in this case, an addiction to white supremacy, Christian nationalism (are those two even different at this point?), late-stage capitalism, guns, heteronormativity and a death grip on the gender binary, oligarchy, and to so many other things that are bad for it.

I am going to try and make a concerted effort this time around to get this blog re-started, if for no other reason than for my own processing and therapeutic needs.

So, US, while it is indeed July 4th, it would be disingenuous for me to say there is much “Happy” about it in 2023.


No comments: