Thursday, February 09, 2017

Times - they are a-changin'

Wow.... right so clearly it's been more than a few years since I've posted here. Honestly, I've been busy just living life: buying a house; burying my father and supporting my mom in finding her "new normal" without her husband of 40+ years; getting my Canadian citizenship (maybe that will be a blog post of its own some day); tending to my career; and *drum roll please* getting married (again, this might be another post about making that decision about where and when since we did it before the US Supreme Court decision striking down all the marriage equality barriers).

I had just about forgotten this blog I started waaaaaaay back in the day to chronicle what it was like to move from the US to Canada. I mean, I did the acculturation thing right? I now understand what kind of clothes to put on based on the temperature told to me in celcius. In my head, I totally have a mental idea of how far a kilometer is. I now get officially annoyed that all US money is green and you have to actually look at bill to see what denomination it is.

It's all good! Right?

Except these days it's not all good when it feels like the country of my birth is on fire running around flailing its arms instead of doing the ol' stop-drop-and-roll to put itself out.

So what's a New Yorker by birth, dual citizen by choice dyke about town to do? (well, besides religiously call her state senators - both Democrats- and her congressional rep - a RepubliKKKan.)

I guess one thing to do is start blogging again. But this time it's for reals. Not just to relate quirky cross border/cross cultural moments. There's too much at stake these days.

I'm not sure how this will all look. And I suppose to some degree I need to do this as much for me as for anyone else. Stay tuned for more...

No comments: