Friday, November 10, 2006

Election-o-rama - Ahhh, it's that time of year, the leaves have turned all those beautiful hues; there's a chill in the air that let's you know it's time to pull out your favorite sweaters; and neighborhood lawns are festooned with a cornucopia of placards enticing you to vote for Hopeful Candidate X or Incumbent Y.

This is my first year experiencing the election season from both sides of the border. I did my civic duty and registered for an absentee ballot. I haven't missed an election since I turned 18. I figured there are places in the world where people literally have killed for the right to vote and that plenty of my sisters around the world can't vote so why would I throw mine away.

Anyway, The Democrats have won the House and Senate and Toronto is in the midst of a contentious mayoral battle. Although I have discovered that "contentious" and "nasty" political fights north of the border look and feel quite different.

Last weekend I had to unexpectedly travel back to the U.S. because of my dad's ill health so I caught the last few days of pre-election media blitz. Having watched this year's elections unfold in Canada and then being suddenly dumped into the States really made me realize how negative U.S. campaigning is and how little the process has to do with the issues.

In the States, it seems that in the 2 months leading up to election day, the only t.v. ads not related to prescription drugs are some kind of mudslinging diatribe of one sort or another. Candidates search out and exploit (or just outright make up) any flaw or sign of weakness in their opponents. And whether or not it has anything to do with the price of tea in China, never the actual "issues," is not nearly as important as it's ability to create smoke screens, buzz phrases and "politainment."

Here in Canada, to my recollection, I haven't seen one t.v. ad for any of the big races, never mind the small ones. And their idea of a contentious public debate is when one candidate says, "I must strongly disagree with what my opponent says on such-and-such an issue."

What? No trash talking? No diverting to get in a dig or two or avoid having one's own flaws jumped on? An actual discourse on the issues? While this approach makes for poor entertainment, it sure seems to make for better politics.

P.S. I've included on my links list one for an organization, "Democrats Abroad" that provides amazing resources and information to help Americans living outside the U.S. to register to vote if you aren't already and to get signed up for absentee ballots.

No comments: