Monday, May 01, 2006

May 1st - the day that many around the U.S. are marching and boycotting to bring attention to the issues surrounding immigration rights. I've been paying particular attention to the days leading up to these events in part because of my own experiences in trying to get a work permit and immigrate.

Having been engaged in the process now in one way or another for the better part of a year (with still much more ahead of me), I've thought a few times in the last few days, "Ya know, I can see why people would illegally immigrate." Thus far, the process has been expensive (understatement), time consuming (even bigger understatement) and required a level of reading and understanding that at times 2 graduate degrees didn't quite prepare me for... and this is going from the U.S. to Canada, which from what I understand is less difficult than the other way 'round.

I am entirely grateful that I have the resources and education to help move my process forward. And the recent immigration debates have made me realize how my economic status and education level (which undoubtedly also raises issues of related to race) have privileged me. I've wondered if something were shifted in either economically and/or educationally to be less than I already have (which trust me, working in social services, ya don't have a whole lot to work with economically), I doubt I'd be in the position where I sit right now. I can imagine it would take years, to even accumulate the money to file, never mind secure the professional help needed to navigate the system.

I suppose this is kind of strange coming from someone who has played by the book the whole way and is patiently waiting in line. But, I need to at least be honest with myself about why I can afford to wait in line and how I got into line in the first place.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good start to your blogging Patty! Gratitude for being able to do as you have done makes the journey even more amazing. I can't imagine trying it as millions have done without the resources.