Thursday, May 18, 2006

Tomorrow is the big day - the day that I drive to the "port of entry" through which I usually get into Canada and "present" myself for my work permit. How nervous am I you ask? More nervous than two blind virgins in a full-wave water bed. More nervous than a chicken in Col. Sanders back yard. More nervous than a piece of chocolate cake sitting in my fridge during PMS week.

I had my "coaching" session earlier this week. My immigration representative gave me the list of "must haves" in terms of documentation and the list of "would be really a good idea if you had." Then he coached me on what I should say ("I would like a 2 year work permit in order to gain the maximum benefit for the residency permit I already have in process, Officer ______. Here are all my primary and secondary supporting documents.") and what I should not say ("Partner? What partner? This is all business related, Officer _______.")

Apparently, I don't want them to start asking questions at this time about my relational status because it will make my work permit stuff look more suspicious or dubious in some way. Normally I would balk at the idea of not proudly proclaiming who I am and who my partner is. However, lemme tell ya, this ain't a gay-thang at this point and I'd tell them I've been celibate my whole life if it'll help (though I of course would never lie just in case some key immigration person is reading this... can you tell the whole eavesdropping thing in the States is getting to me?).

At any rate, I've checked my briefcase at least 3 times tonight already and will probably check it at least 3 more. And no doubt, my poor clients tomorrow morning will not be getting me at my best but hopefully they'll forgive me or at least not notice.

No comments: