Sunday, May 28, 2006

Memorial Weekend Mayhem - 2 weeks and counting to the big move. There are boxes everywhere and I've been doing more paper shredding than the staffers for any recent president.

One thing I've been acutely aware this past week is the number of flags out in preparation for Memorial Day Weekend. Now, anyone who knows me knows that I'm not exactly your flag-wavin', red-white-and-blue wearing kind of queer. If anything, I'm more likely to seen donning something Polish or Irish.

But something strange happened this past week. I had the urge to buy my first American flag. Not one of those small printed ones made in China that's stapled to a flimsy piece of dowling, but a real, made-in-America flag that goes on a flag pole.

My partner and I talked about this last week. "You want to buy a what?" she asked. "A flag, an American one for the back deck. Don't worry I'll buy a Canadian one too," I replied. "We don't have to have it out all the time, right? This isn't exactly that 'kind' of neighborhood," she protested. I sighed, "No but I'd like to put it up once in a while, on important American holidays and stuff. I'm still American you know. And what do you mean 'not that kind of neighborhood?'"
Now she sighed, "You know, people don't get all patriotic around here and they certainly don't have a huge love of the U.S."

And do you know what? I actually felt a little defensive about this. What a strange feeling considering how much annoys me about this country right now. Maybe not getting the 4th of July off will make it mean more to me. I dunno

Anyway, after some more grumpy conversation we compromised on buying an American and a Canadian flag and we're going to get a double bracket so we can put both out at the same time. This felt ok to me, though if you catch me buying a copy that horrible county song, "Proud to be an American," then it's time to star worrying!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Soem of the rest of us with serious love/hate relationships with the US have the same feelings. Katie got her first cheap flag on a dowel. Very odd watching your child getting into the patritism thing, fun and yet a little scarry all at the same time.

By the way I love your blog. I have been missing our infrequent meetings and this is injecting a wonderful little bit of energy into my life.

Anonymous said...

Patty: Just say no to patriotism. It is the opiate of the masses.


-Spinner (since I am not a "blogger" and the only way I could post this was to be anonymous)